Monday, September 6, 2010

Future Me

I got this recently: 

The following is an e-mail from the past, composed on Sunday, June 20, 2010, and sent via FutureMe.org

Dear FutureMe,

Life this past quarter or even year was amazing. Don't forget that for next year: keep your passion burning. Keep the drive to make a difference in people's lives and be a leader to them. Keep the passion of science and learning, no matter what grade you get, know that it's what you have learned and understand that is important. Remember and learn the idea of brotherhood in Sigma Phi Epsilon, and learn how to become a leader despite being a new person. Don't be pressure that you don't do drugs or get drunk every night: have standards that are of your own and stick to them. Grow in your relationship with God and make it serious.

It's funny how I wrote this only earlier when summer was just starting, but it really put things in perspective for me. What's important in my life?

My beliefs: I love God. This is what drives me in life first and foremost. I remember how close I use to be with Him. I think a lot of my beliefs were hidden due to ridicule, discrimination, and my own lack of work in this area. I really want to be get my act together in this arena. What makes me even love God or believe in Him? As of loving Him, everything in my life (good or bad) doesn't make sense if I just simply allow it to be up to either chance, science, or another human being. It has to be of some higher power. Why God? Faith for one. Also, historical and science back this up. I'm going to make God the first priority in my life now.

Leader/Making a Difference: once again, this was very much needed advice. Before reading this, I was not even remotely excited for AV HA Training. For me, it seemed repetitive, not needed, and I really didn't feel any connection with anyone, besides returners. I was excited for my residents, but that was about it. I realize that not only can I make a difference with my residents, but also people on AV Staff. I can be that leader, as a returner, and be able to influence them as well. I see just how much I can influence people, and I know I can do this. I need to be able to adapt, but also influence.

School: what do I want to do with my life? As of now, it's still uncertain. Certain plans came up, but were crashed. Overall though, why did I choose to a Biology major. Yes, it was to be pre-med but now, why did I continue? I love science. I love the reality, the truth, the factual part of it. There's no room for political beliefs, radical ideas, or myths, but just truth. It is within science that I can examine myself and humanity, as well as the most tiny thing ever to exist. I need to learn to learn.

SigEp: my brothers who I just recently found. Each day that I get to know them better, I am starting to realize more what brotherhood is about. What it takes to be not only a member of this fraternity, but a brother, and a leader, within this fraternity.

Overall, I need to be sure of myself, to love myself, and stick to what I believe. Yes, there is room for diversity, multiculturalism, and understanding, but also there needs to be respect. I am excited for this year now. This letter was very needed, and I'm glad I was able to do this futureme note.

No comments: