Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Leader=Alone

First day of training is over and done with, thankfully. I can't believe that we still have 9 more days of actual training, and then residents, and then the school year begins. Overall, training was semi-useful, good time to catch up with friends, and overall, testing out the waters to see how AV will be this year. In my honest opinion as of now, it's alright. For others, it may be amazing, but speaking from my own personal experience, I could go both ways.

I don't know if it's me or how this always turns out to be, but I'm not that person who is automatically considered okay or down with anything. "Don't judge a book by it's cover" is a phrase that never gets applies to me. For me, I'm always second-guessed.

Perhaps, a lot of it has to do with how I treat this job: seriously. I agree the fun and friendliness are essential parts of this training, but there is also a line. I know AV for so long, and with this job, I understand many of the aspects of it already. I just wish people wouldn't consider me a stickler just because I know the rules, and I follow them.

I think it has to do with me being a realist. For myself personally, I am going to follow the rules and be ethical in my job, and yet at the same time, I know people aren't going to do the same. I just wish they knew I was fine with that from the start. I'm not a buzz kill or anything, I just do my job, and hope for the best, that they do their job.

I think I'm starting to believe that a leader stands alone. After all, he or she stands separated from the rest, either in the front or the back, depending on how they lead. As a leader, you should be following the rules set down, to know things, to influence, to express, to challenge and change. Even amongst a group of student leaders, there has to be some leaders leading that group. In addition, there are different leaders in different arenas, and it's important that I know where my place is in all of this.

Overall, I think that's the main concern for me in this whole situation: where is my place in all of this? How am I contributing to the AV team? Skills wise: I did my job last year and I know what to do. Socially: I'm not the great as outgoing, but then again, I think I have the skill of noticing the people who get left out.



"A leader does not deserve the name unless he is willing occasionally to stand alone."

"Accept everything about yourself - I mean everything, You are you and that is the beginning and the end - no apologies, no regrets."

Henry A. Kisssinger 

No comments: