Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Courage, Fear, or Something Else

Question to ponder: is the absence of courage, fear, or is is something else. If we don't have courage or that strength to face our doubts and struggles, then what are we left with? I guess a call of definitions is in place to actually get anywhere.

Courage. The ability to persevere despite going through a hardship or difficulty. Courage allows us to say and do things we thought were never possible. It exceeds what we thought we ourselves were capable of doing. Courage allows us to laugh in the face of danger and keep our strength when we are struggling just to get up once again from the ground.

Fear is an interesting emotion. Fear keeps us from doing something that may be asked of us to do, or possibly, it stops us from doing things we are face with. It hinders us from ever trying again or thinking that there are possibilities in this world. Fear clutches us and does not allow us to actually live our lives to the fullest. It makes us blind to what else there is out there.

By definition, it would appear that fear is the antithesis of courage. It makes sense; after defining these two terms, it seems pretty logical that these two are in opposition of each other. Yet, I feel like there's something in between. It's this state that exist between these two planes, that many of us find ourselves in situations. We don't have fear that we can't do something or we might fail, but when there is difficulty, we don't have the courage to do anything about it. We simply just ignore it, or mask it, or just clear it all away. This action could be deemed as showing fear, but is it really? Sometimes fear is not always a bad thing; sometimes fear allows us to self examine ourselves. It is within this personal reflection that possibly there's a chance that this fear is legitimate.

So, is there a middle ground between fear and courage? And if so, what can this position be defined as? Apathy? Turning a blind eye? I think for me, I find myself in this position very often. I don't have the courage to say and do the things I want to, but I don't fear that action either. It just is. I think this is a scary position. As I was writing this, I almost wrote this: this allows us to just say we "can't." We can't do this because-insert some excuse. Now, I don't like making excuses. I find that this is probably one of my pet peeves in life. But, I realize that even though I don't make excuses to other people, I put myself in this middle position that allows me to make excuse to myself.

Sadly, being in the middle of fear and courage only leaves us in the realm of "can't" and excuses. What else is there to do in between these two camps? In life, we are given to make choices. It's not so black and white of either fearing something or standing up. There's this new action of making excuses and simply seeing it as impossible. Now, some things are impossible, and a lot of times during fear, we see things as impossible. That is how fear works. The hybrid between fear and courage does the same, but it eliminates the fact that we ourselves our at fault for not doing the right thing or completing a task that is asked of us, despite personal feelings.

Where do we go from here? I guess maybe it's better to be either having fear or courage. I am usually a strong advocate for the balance in life, but perhaps there is no balance in this situation. Choose what you are going to do in life, but don't make excuses. I rather know that I either chose a life full of fear or courage, than a life filled with lofty excuses.

No comments: