Saturday, July 3, 2010

Status: Still Searching

Life a whole lot easier when you have someone to help you out, especially if that person is older, wise, and probably been in the same position you're are right now. We all need those people to mentor us, especially when we are confused or lost.

For me personally, I've always wanted someone to be able to help me out, to show me the ropes, and also be there for me. Unfortunately, I have always valued independence and resourcefulness, which sometimes hinders me being open and willingly, especially if there was someone reaching out to me. I'm used to being the one in charge; I'm the person that is suppose to be leading, have all the answers, and not to be boastful, I usually do. I learn things quickly, and I'm observant. When I cannot figure out something, I normally figure it out for myself, without asking questions.

Despite all of this, I also always want to continue to make myself better, and having someone to mentor me, to push me beyond who I am right now, that's someone I wish I could find. Many times, I feel like it will never happen, or it's just too late. In regards to my fraternity, I guess that's why I'm looking forward to having a Big Bro; hopefully my expectations aren't too high, and the experience is amazing. I'm glad for the Brother Mentors I had this quarter, because they were what I wanted to have, at least in the sense of my fraternity. I think I could have utilized them a lot more than I actually tried.

I guess in life when you can't find that specific person,  you just have to keep moving on, and hope that some day, you find that person. You never know, that person could be coming soon, and all you have to do is wait and see. Maybe it requires you to change a bit of yourself to be more open to getting help from someone. And if you still haven't found that person, don't forget to look around for those who are wanting the same relationship; you could fulfill the role of the mentor you never had, and always wished for.

No comments: